Vegan Edamame Mushroom Pea Veggie Patty Recipe
I love veggie burgers! Whenever I am at a restaurant that makes their own homemade veggie patty, it’s always what I order. Earl mentioned how we should make our own, so I stumbled across this recipe on “Healthy, Happy, Life” (http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2009/07/mean-green-edamame-soy-burger-spicy.html) and changed things up a bit to create it to our own liking.
This will create about 5 patties depending on how thick or thin you want it.
1 cups cooked edamame beans (1 frozen shelled bag at Trader Joe’s work great)
1 cup Brown Rice (which will be made to fried rice, used the microwavable package to save time with cooking the rice, unless you have some brown rice lying around)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups mushrooms
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup sesame rice crackers
*Got all ingredients at Trader Joe’s
- Boil water and cook edamame (follow directions on bag, takes about 10 minutes)
- While you are boiling the edamame, fry the cooked brown rice. Add soy sauce to brown rice, mix, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Deshell edamame to 1 cup
- Mix edamame and fried brown rice, then add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, let it marinate for a few minutes
- Cook mushrooms till they turn light brown
- Microwave and heat up peas
- Mix mushrooms and peas, then blend in a food processor
- Take edamame and rice mixture, then blend in food processor
- Blend crackers into fine crumbs (no need to clean each time you blend)
- Combine veggie and rice mixture together
- Fold in cracker crumbs to mixture
- Use hands to form patties
- Cook patty for about 2 minutes on each side on a olive oil greased pan
We are still trying to figure out how to keep the patty together, because it gets a little crumbly but still delicious and full of flavors!
Enjoy with wheat bread, pita bread, or burger buns. For condiments, we used: organic ketchup, pesto, and edamame hummus.